Sunday, May 4
So, I bought a house. First time in my young adulthood that I can say that. Blame the army, they kept moving me to undesirable places with the promise of moving me again, before I could claim tax advantage. The house is in a neighborhood that we think we will love. We think the boys will love. If we don't love it, we will move in a little bit. We can blame the Army for that attitude too. You know, I never thought that the Army would have such an impact on me, but there it is. I digress. I think everyone should write blog posts after a bottle of celebratory champagne. Shared with another person, of course. Or maybe yourself. Whatever you fancy.
So, back to this house. Its not my dream house. Zero curb appeal, neighbors I could spit on they are so close, and a fireplace built by Barney Rubble (am I dating myself? I think so.), but it has a lot of great things. It needs some work. I needs some elbow grease, it's in a flood zone - yes. Flood zone. It needs a little updating vision, but I think we're up to the task. At least I hope we are. I think its the Army wives influence (Stephanie Howell) that are telling me to put together the boys' rooms first. Its on my plan. I've had the vision in my head for their rooms. I have put it down on paper. I have a notebook. I have a date to home depot... tomorrow.
Anyway, I'm probably not conveying my excitement. Or at least, the requisite amount. I don't know that I've allowed myself to feel excitement. Yet. We have moved into so many places that were not our own, I'm not sure how to feel about a place that IS my own. I think it might creep in. When I realize I can hang pictures without worrying about my security deposit. Or curtains. Or when I can pick my own blinds or replace the stove that doesn't work. Realistically, probably after I pay my first mortgage payment. Then I will know its mine. For better or for worse. This is what I would imagine a stress full marriage is like (fortunately, haven't had one of those). Then I will know its mine to make the best of.
For now, the above picture is from my dream house board. Pictures that are of a house that I do not own. That I will not turn my current house into. That I will never see in my real life. But you know what? I'm going to make new pictures. Pictures that make my house look better to me. Pictures that might not be of my "dream house," but show up in my dreams. And maybe, on someone elses pinterest.
Wish me luck and house love. Our backs need it!
Friday, March 7
2. Which brings me to Kate Spade Saturday. Yes, I know it's Friday, but I could spend any day of the week shopping Saturday, Kate Spades own version of J Crew Factory!!!!!!!!!!! Now we can all afford the "real thing." Well, almost. Thanks Katie!! I'll take one of these and this and that one too.
3. This Lime Shrimp and Avocado recipe from Pinterest. I've made it twice already and it's idiot proof. Like I said, I've made it twice. It is SO GOOD!. Just a little taste of summer. We have been eating it over mixed greens or romaine for dinner.
4. A little background music from this group - Pentatonix. Check out their You Tube Channel, its very cool. I love the covers they do! Here they are signing Royals. I saw them on Sesame Street.... What is my life coming to?
5. Finally, whether you call them donuts or doughnuts, this old article in Saveur - America's 50 Best Donuts - will likely give you a weekend destination. I can't wait to try some of the new ones. I am dying for a good donut. If you follow my instagram feed, you might notice my breakfast posts. I'm trying to make myself eat the "most important meal of the day." Proof is undeniable. Maybe a doughnut for Sunday! #30daysofbfast
Enjoy your weekend everybody!! I'm getting this one handed blogging thing down.
Tuesday, February 25
KEYRING. Simply load up your cards, scan the bar codes and you are good to go. It even works for gift cards (I never seem to have them when I'm in the actual store) and hotel loyalty programs (I have a ton of those).
I've been using it for a couple weeks now and it's pretty awesome. It's also free. My wallet thanks you KEYRING.
How are you guys doing with one little word? Link me up some posts for inspiration!
Monday, January 6
Simplify. This year I decided that I would adopt "one little word" as a mantra for 2014. I decided this word as I was decorating my Christmas tree on December 23rd. I was 40 plus weeks pregnant and strategizing tree decorating to accommodate my belly, my dog and my very tall 18 month old. I got the lights and about a dozen ornaments on the tree and then realized that I had both run out of steam and safe space for ornaments. Despite being sparse with ornaments, the tree was beautiful. Christmas was wonderful. We were blessed with the birth of my son on Christmas day. Our tree with its bright lights and 12 ornaments was no less festive. And, as I undecorated it last weekend with my 6 day old baby, those 12 ornaments were just manageable under the circumstances.
My hope is to simplify so I can worry less and enjoy more. Simplify everything from my overflowing closet to my bookshelves to the number of TV shows I watch. Wherever I can simplify, I want to. I am hoping this will lead to more time. More time for my husband, my kids, my family. More time to enjoy things that I can never seem to find the time for. Taking pictures. Reading. Putting photos into albums. Catching up with friends. Cooking. The list goes on.
Last night I took my first step toward simplifying. I sorted through my massive collection of clothes. Some still with tags (the shame!!!). I have two large racks. One for "goodwill." One for SELL. I am hoping to do a little blitz sale here online in the next couple of weeks - dresses, jeans, accessories. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. I hope some of my favorites will go to someone who has time to wear them! I hope there is some interest. I would much rather do it through my blog or Instagram than on eBay. Any thoughts? Interest?
Anybody else doing one little word? I want to know!
Labels: One little word
Wednesday, December 18
1. BlaBla Dolls - I love Sox the Fox and Andiamo the Dog is pretty cool too.
2. Hape Walk-a-Long Puppy -I don't know a munchkin who doesn't love a puppy, so why not one that they can walk on their own. You know, until they are ready for the real thing
3. Skip Hop Bath Toys - These are some of my little guys favorites. Love them. Endless dunking in the tub and then throw in dishwasher to clean!
4. Land of Nod Teepee - Comes in multiple colors and gives the little guys a great place to play peek-a-boo and hide and seek.
5. Freshly Picked Moccasins - I would Love for Colton to have these to wear until he's too big. They are so beautiful. If they're not in your budget, Minnetonka Baby Fringe Booties for the little ones are also beautiful and the Minnetonka Suede Backflap Boot.
6. Plan Toys Palomino Rocking Horse - I also like the Hape Rock and Ride Rocking Horse such great takes on classic toys.
7. Playon Crayon - Stylish, non-toxic and adorable, these are the perfect set of first crayons for little baby hands!
8. Lucky Bums Wood Toboggan - A classic gift that I can't help but add considering all this beautiful snow that we've been getting lately.
Tuesday, December 17
I grew up with a business traveler and then became one myself for a short period. If you know a business traveler, you know that the "travel" part of it is all business too. Traveling for work is sometimes work. Having the right tools is essential.
1. Bose QuietComfort 20i Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Have you heard that the airlines plan to allow cell phone calls in the air!? Sure to prevent air rage and arrest.
2. JCrew USB Phone Charger - Because standing in an airport waiting for a plug is just embarrassing in a business suit.
3. AESOP New York Unisex Travel Kit - Gets rid of the "red eye" scent - don't pretend like you don't know what I'm talking about when I say "scent."
4. Leather Travel Wallet - To keep all your stuff in order, so you don't look like the "pleasure traveler" - you know what I'm talking about. Keep it professional.
5. iPhone 5s - To call home or to mean-tweet Delta - don't leave home without it. Check out Forbes' list of Best Business Travel Apps to upload before you leave.
6. Trakdot Luggage Tracker - Wondering if you'll be washing your underwear in the sink in the hotel at 2AM? This bad boy will tell you if your luggage made it and if not, whether you need an early morning shopping spree courtesy of the airline who sent your San Francisco bound luggage to Fairbanks, Alaska - true story.
7. Air-O-Swiss Travel Humidifier - Its totally possible that I'm just weird, but I hate getting dried sinuses on a long flight. It also makes it more likely that you'll get sick. This little humidifier lets you put a bottle of water in it! How awesome is that!? I also love this one from Homedics that plugs right into the wall.
8. Kindle Fire - For the avid reader - a book, the Times, the Wall Street Journal and more. I'm also a huge fan of the iPad which comes in so many "generations" now you can get one at many different price points.
Monday, December 16
There are so many great things to buy for new mom's to remind them how great it is that they made a tiny human. Seriously, a lot of the focus is on the baby, which is appropriate. But, a little pampering for a mommy can go a long way!
1. Bluum Box - The ultimate subscription box for the new mom. Every month they send you great new samples for mom and baby. Everything from lotions to baby foods!
2. Philosophy Grace Gift Set - New moms are in serious need of pampering. So get them something to take care of themselves and their skin.
3. ERGObaby Designer Series Carrier and Hand Muff, Winter Edition - Did someone say Muff? Sold.
4. JCrew Pajamas in Swiss Dot - Because you spend a lot of time in loose comfortable clothes. A button down top is great if you're nursing and you might as well feel well dressed in your jammies. You may end up in them for 24 hours.
5. Fuji X100S - For the same reasons I recommended for the new dad. You're likely to slip it in your diaper bag or purse and you can catch every adorable moment... and those that aren't adorable, but that you should remember.
6. Beer - Yes, I said it, beer. Guinness, in particular, is supposed to help with breastfeeding. Maybe, maybe not. But, if the new mommy in your life likes to partake in some hoppy libations, stop by your local package store and pick some up, she deserves a little toast for CREATING A HUMAN BEING, right!?! (no link necessary)
7. Gift Package to DryBar - When you're a new mom, there's nothing better than having clean beautiful hair. Whether its just one blow out or a package, this is a winner of a gift. Seriously. Blow me.
8. Apple iPad Mini - To keep mom amused during those late night - hour long - feedings.